The Advantedge Mentoring Program
Advantedge, while still a new company, will work not just with revenue-generating businesses, but also commits to to fulfill its Corporate Social Responsibility by behaving ethically and contributing to the quality of life of the youth in developing them into productive and economically confident members of society.
As part of our efforts to give back to society, Advantedge has introduced a Mentoring Program whereby fresh graduates and young professionals looking to start their careers can register with Advantedge and be connected with our team of mentors. Our mentors are all well established and respected corporate executives and business persons who have made a positive impact in their respective fields.
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is a company’s sense of responsibility towards the community and environment, both ecological and social, in which it operates. Typically companies express this citizenship (a) through their waste and pollution reduction processes (b) by contributing educational and social programs, and (c) by building sustainable workplaces through maximizing returns on the employed resources.
It is commonly argued, that Pakistan, while very strong on personal philanthropy, is a country that is still lacking in CSR practices. Some multinational and larger local organizations have taken the lead and must be lauded for their efforts in contributing to the society and people of Pakistan.
What is Mentoring
Mentoring is most often defined as a professional relationship in which an experienced person (the mentor) assists another (the mentee) in developing specific skills and knowledge that will enhance the less-experienced person’s professional and personal growth. This relationship does not guarantee any job placements or referrals but does guarantee good workable advice and guidance.
What does a mentor do?
The following are among the mentor’s functions:
- Teaches the mentee about a specific issue.
- Counsels the mentee on a particular skill.
- Facilitates the mentee growth by sharing knowledge of resources and networks.
- Challenges the mentee to move beyond his or her comfort zone.
- Guides towards creating a safe learning environment for taking risks.
- Focuses on the mentee’s total development.
- Mentoring takes place outside of work relationship, at the mutual consent of a mentor and the person being mentored.
- Is career-focused or focuses on professional development that may be outside a mentee’s area of work.
- The relationship is personal – a mentor provides both professional and personal support.
- The relationship crosses job boundaries.
- The relationship may last for a specific period of time – nine months to a year – in a formal or informal manner, at which point the pair may continue to keep in touch or not as they decide.
What are the benefits of mentoring?
Mentors enjoy many benefits, including:
- Gain insights from the mentee’s background and history that can be used in the mentor’s professional and personal development.
- Gain satisfaction in sharing expertise with others.
- Re-energizes the mentor’s career.
- Giving back to the society.
Mentee’s enjoy many benefits, including:
- Gain from the mentor’s expertise
- Receive critical feedback in key areas, such as communications, interpersonal relationships, technical abilities and leadership skills.
- Develop a sharper focus on what is needed to grow professionally within the work environment and what to expect in the work place.
- Learn specific skills and knowledge that are relevant to personal goals.
- Network with a more influential professional.
- Has a friendly ear with which to share frustrations as well as successes.
How does it work?
- Mentee should be a graduate/undergraduate or with work experience of less than two years
- Advantedge will assess the young graduates’ skills and abilities, his/her aspirations and ambitions and pair them with an appropriate Mentor.
- The relationship between Mentor and Mentee is confidential
- Each Mentor will devote a maximum two hours a month with their Mentee. Meetings will be scheduled at the convenience of the Mentors.
- The relationship can continue regularly for upto a year or as agreed mutually
- This relationship will be provided free of cost.
- Based on the success of phase 1 of our mentoring program, Advantedge may start a phase 2 which will be announced on our website.
- Stay tuned to get the latest updates of any new programs.